- The name of the new Medicaid Waiver programs is ECF Choices. ECF stands for Employment and Community First. These Waiver programs are for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who currently do not receive services.
- These programs will not affect anyone who is already getting services, or their staff, but there will be changes in how we deliver new services. For example, we don’t currently provide personal assistance, but this will be a more needed service in the new programs and will be more adequately reimbursed so we can afford to provide it.
- ECF Choices will be managed by Managed Care Organizations (MCOs), starting with Amerigroup and Blue Care.
- ECF Choices will be the only programs offered after July 1, unless for some reason the start date gets delayed. The Waiver programs that we know now will be closed to new participants.
- ECF Choices will have three different programs: one for people who live at home and need fewer services (low cost), one for people who need primarily employment and other non 24 hr. services (mid range cost and the program that will be most emphasized), and one for people who have more complex needs and may need 24 hour services (highest cost).
- The system as a whole will provide far fewer 24 hr. services. This is a national trend.
- The system as a whole will emphasize employment, employment, employment!
- DIDD will have a diminished role in the new programs; they will continue to provide licensure functions, quality assurance, protection from harm, and some intake.
More to come; stay tuned!